Earlier this year, YOU contributed to our ALG Flood Emergency Flood. We gathered £28’500 in total with your generosity of which funds have continued to be sent to the ground in Mozambique.
Our partner in S. Luisa Marillac School, Sister Lidia, sent us a progress update from one of the three worst affected areas in the ALG intervention area…
Dear ALG Friends I’m sending you a huge hug!! Today I’m wiring to give you the status on the reconstruction situation and on the repairing work that we have been able to do thanks to your support. We have being able to finish some activities such as:
- The floor of the warehouse where we keep all the food received or bought
- The shelves in a little warehousing room for smaller items
- Repairing the chairs, almost concluded, of which more than 50 were finished and where items such as screws and restoring materialshave been purchased
- Purchase of all the material to change the nets in the windows. One pavilion is already completed and the work continues
- Purchase of the sand and cement needed for all the work
- Purchase of the material for the teachers’ toilets and hiring of the bricklayer. The children are helping to carry all the material. There is a good improvement and within a week everything should be ready
- Initial purchase of the locks that were already installed, and we still need 5 more
- Initial repairing of the plumbing at the water tank outlet.
As soon as the photos are completed Silvestre [ALG Local Technician in SLM] will send them in order to allow you to keep up with the work and to share our happiness. Little by little we are being able to provide better conditions to the school and embellish it a little more.
Whenever possible we are trying to involve the parents and students because the price of materials has risen after the floods, but we are coping. We are expecting the quotes to proceed with the acquisition of windows’ locks, stoves, and drainer for dishes, taps and plumbing.
The important thing is not to stop and teach everyone that everything that gets started goes all the way until its completion. Here people are slow by nature and take their time to finish what they start. Sometimes when they finish it is time to restart again.
With love, thank you and a big hug from all of us, Sister Lídia Santa Luisa Marillac, Mangunze, Chokwé (Province of Gaza, Mozambique)